In 1997, after 31 years of varied experience with Pfizer and Warner, Dilip
G. Shah sought early retirement from Pfizer to start Vision
Consulting Group to assist clients in evolving investor-friendly
public policies, to facilitate market share expansion, to help new companies
entering the Indian Market, and advise pharmaceutical and consumer goods
companies in their strategic planning. The unique perspective required
to handle these key facets of doing business in India was developed over
three decades of hands-on experience:
- The foundation years (1966-78) in organization & methods, systems
design & development and internal audit.
- The challenging years (1978-87) of working with the government, opinion
leaders and media.
- The pay-off year (1988-97) of responsibilities for strategic planning
and implementation, viz. business development, acquisition, asset utilization,
divestment, distribution operations, administrative efficiencies, the
application of information technology to improve decision making, facilities
planning and project management.
The last five-year period (1992-1997) was very eventful as a number of
strategic initiatives changed the face of Pfizer in India. Sales doubled
from Rs 1.4 bn to Rs 2.6 bn, while profit before tax rose almost 11 times,
from Rs 27 mn to Rs 298 mn. That too after payment of Rs 56 mn to the
parent company towards royalty and technical know-how fees.
About Mr. Dilip G Shah
Mr. Dilip G Shah, CEO of
Vision Consulting Group, a firm specialized in strategic planning,
has 37 years' varied experience in the pharmaceutical industry.
addition, he currently holds the following positions:
- Member of the Management Board of the International Generic Pharmaceutical
- Secretary-General of Indian Pharmaceutical Alliance (IPA), an association
of 11 large research based national companies. Together they share 30
percent of the domestic market, account for one third of exports and
contribute 90 per cent of R & D spending in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Co-chairman of the FICCI's Committee on Pharmaceuticals
- Member of the CII's Committee on Drugs & Pharmaceuticals
- Member of the Board of Advisors of:
- Express Pharma Pulse (Weekly)
- Pharmabiz.com (Weekly)
- Member of the Advisory Panel for the Business Briefing: PharmaGenerics,
- Editor, Asia and India, Journal of Generic Medicines, U.K.
- Member of the Board of Directors of Emcure Pharmaceuticals Limited
and Zuventus Healthcare Limited.
Author of the first book on "Drug Pricing
in India" and occasional contributor to business press,
he graduated from the premier business school in India, Indian Institute
of Management(IIM), Ahmedabad, and has been a guest faculty for their
Management Development Programmes.